Now that I have been doing P90X and other Beachbody programs for over 3 years now, there are some supplements and equipment that I have found to be crucial to my success, and these are what I recommend to not only everyone that I coach, but to all my friends and family as well. Understand that I have personally used each and every one of these, and the only reason that I’m recommending them to you is because I have experienced results with them. The people that I coach know that I don’t recommend things that I haven’t used or hasn’t worked for me.
(1) Shakeology. This has been a game changer for me. What’s interesting is that I was very skeptical about Shakeology once it first came out, thinking it was too expensive, and I didn’t quite understand what all the hype was about. I tried it for the first time in January 2010, thanks to a buddy of mine, and have been hooked on it ever since. Within the first month of using it, I lost an additional 10 lbs, which I didn’t think was possible, but on top of that, I just felt more energized and healthier. Once I started getting results with it, I had my fiance Melinda begin using it, and she lost about 25 lbs within her first month, and that was the point where I knew this was something that could really change lives, and I began recommending it to everyone that I coach, along with all of my family and friends. (Learn more about how you can get a free Shakeology sample)
(2) Powerblocks. I invested in the U-90 Urethane PowerBlocks about 3 months ago, and it was one of the best purchases that I have ever made! These are quick and easy to interchange, not bulky, and are extremely durable. In my opinion, they are much better than the Selecttechs. (Check out my entire PowerBlocks review)
(3) P90X Pull-Up Bar. I know there are many alternatives out there, but I ordered the P90X Pull-Up bar when I ordered P90X, and this thing has STILL held up after over-use for 3 years! What’s great about this bar is that it hangs right in your doorway and you don’t have to bolt it to anything. Plus, it has 7 hand positions, allowing you to do pull-ups many different ways. (Learn more about the P90X pull-up bar)
(4) Recovery Formula. As a former college baseball player, I have tried so many different post workout recovery drinks, and the one I have gotten the best results with hands down is the P90X Recovery Formula. I have been using it after every workout for the past few years now, and it’s played a big role in my muscle development. (Read my entire P90X Recovery Drink review)
(5) Whey Protein. When I got into college, one of the first things my coach had me do was start using whey protein, and I’ve been using it ever since. I have done a ton of research on whey protein, and there are tremendous benefits for using it if you work out intensely. I have tried many different brands, but the one I like the most is Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard. (Learn more about whey protein)
(6) Push-Up Bars. Even though these are much cheaper than the PowerBlocks I listed above, it was still one of the best investments that I have made for my fitness. Per recommendation of Tony Horton, I got the push-up bars because of them allowing you to get deeper and a greater range of motion during push-ups. (Learn more about the push-up bars)