8 Healthy Eating Tips
Ever since I started P90X almost 4 and a half years ago, I have learned so many things about eating healthy. In fact, I have COMPLETELY turned my diet around! Before I started the workout program, my diet consisted of fried chicken fingers, french fries, pizza, ice cream, pop-tarts, cereal, and a lot of white bread and pasta. I was the guy who thought that chicken fingers and fries were healthy because they were chicken and potatoes. I honestly don’t think I ate anything healthy. When I started P90X, I knew that I had to change my diet if I wanted to reach my fitness goals, so I followed the P90X Nutrition Guide as close as possible. Committing myself 100% helped me lose 25 lbs and 10% body fat, but the best part about it was that I began living a healthy lifestyle from that point on. I wanted to take some time out and share with you 8 healthy eating tips that have helped me stay healthy over the past 4 years!
(1) Keep track of your calories. This is something I did from the very beginning and it helped me greatly. I used www.myfitnesspal.com, and more recently the new My Fitness Pal app on the iPhone. What’s great about both of these is that they have pretty much every restaurant and food that you can possibly think of in their database. If you go out to eat, for example, you can look up the menu ahead of time and find the best healthy choice. Also, both of them allow you to keep track of your fat, carb, and protein breakdown as well. If you’re following something like the P90X Fat Shredder diet, for example, which has a 20/30/50 ratio, you can make sure you’re on target with that each day by logging what you eat into the app or website.
(2) Stay away from pop. No pop is good for you, period. I don’t care if it says “diet” or what, it’s not good for you. Pop companies have tried to appeal to healthier consumers by creating diet drinks, but the sweetness has to come from somewhere else instead of sugar, so they use artificial sweeteners, which aren’t good for you either. There are MANY studies that show that the artificial sweeteners might be just as bad for you as regular sugar.
(3) Fruits and veggies are the way to go. Both of these are super healthy for you (of course), and if you’re going to snack on something, these would be the things you go for. Be careful, though, with the fruits because of the high amount of carbohydrates in them. Try to stick to 1-3 fruits per day. I usually have an apple, peach, and banana throughout the day.
(4) Go with whole grains. This is a tricky one because there are so many companies out there who trick consumers into believing their products are whole grain, when in fact they really aren’t. When purchasing any breads or pastas, always go with the ones that say either “100% Whole Grain” or “100% Whole Wheat” on the label. Something that says “Whole Grain” usually only has a small % of whole grain in it. Also, look at the ingredient list and make sure it says whole wheat flour and doesn’t have the word “enriched” anywhere on it.
(5) Drink a lot of water. There are so many people who don’t drink enough water throughout the day, and it’s VERY important to stay hydrated! I try to drink 8 8 oz. glasses of water, if not more, each day. Important times to drink water is right in the morning and before your meals.
(6) Stay away from red meat. This is somewhat of a personal preference, but after going through the Ultimate Reset, I have stopped eating red meat. I haven’t had a steak in a few months, and I used to eat it maybe once a week. The fat and cholesterol in red meat is usually very high, and I’m not willing to even risk it anymore. My meats usually consist of chicken, fish, and turkey now.
(7) Throw out all junk food. One of the first things that I did when I started P90X was go through every single one of my cupboards, along with my freezer and fridge, and threw away any unhealthy food. It helped tremendously because whenever I had a bad craving, I was forced to choose a healthier alternative.
(8) Stick with organic. I know, I know, eating organic is definitely more expensive, but what would you rather sacrifice, your health or a few extra bucks? It’s a no brainer to me, so Melinda and I eat as much organic foods as we can. There are so many genetically engineered foods and foods with pesticides out there anymore, so going with organic foods is definitely the healthiest way to go.
Hopefully these 8 healthy eating tips were helpful, and if you have any questions about a healthy diet, feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com. If you’re going through P90X or any other Beachbody program, I’m a Beachbody Coach and can help you out. If you want me to coach you, just click here!