Last night I went down to Columbus for a Beachbody event held in Columbus by a guy named Dr. Bill Wheeler. Dr. Wheeler is a nutrition expert and for two hours I got to listen to him and soak up information about nutrition and supplements and how they are beneficial! The nutrition tips that I learned last night were absolutely priceless, and even shocking in some cases. For example, did you know that studies have shown that soy increases the likelihood of breast cancer in women and decreases testosterone in men? Pretty crazy stuff! Here are many other nutrition tips that I learned last night that you all will find very beneficial.
- By law, a company only has to reveal 90% of the ingredients that go into a product! What!? That means that there are some things not on the label that can be very unhealthy for us. Beachbody, however, reveals 100% of the ingredients that go into EVERY product! Everything that is in Shakeology, for example, is right there on the nutrition label!
- Shakeology is PURE with all natural products. Beachbody makes sure that there are absolutely no impurities in Shakeology!
- Shakeology was in development for two years.
- It’s certified low glycemic.
- There are over 80 ingredients in Shakeology, all of them reaping health benefits!
- On my site http://myshakeology.com/coachspence8, there is a video called “35 Doctors Don’t Lie,” where 35 doctors explain the benefits of Shakeology. The great thing about this is that NONE of the doctors were paid for endorsing the product! These are doctors who have used Shakeology, studied it, and understand the health benefits.
- Kids can start taking Shakeology at the age of 12.
- You can take Shakeology 3-4 times per day without harm!
- Dr. Wheeler has been the nutrition adviser for many professional teams and top athletes including Michael Jordon, Brett Favre, and Wayne Gretzky. He created, recommended, and formulated many supplements and has never seen one more complex and beneficial than Shakeology!
- Even though Shakeology contains 100% of the DV of many vitamins and nutrients, it’s not going to hurt to still take a multi-vitamin.
- Dr. Wheeler talked about the importance of taking protein before you go to bed. When you sleep, your body goes into repair mode, and when you provide the muscles with amino acids found in protein, your body repairs muscle better and you get a better night’s rest! It doesn’t matter if you take casein protein, whey protein, or eat something like cottage cheese, string cheese, or peanut butter, just as long as it’s protein.
- It’s best to have a combination of slow digesting and fast digesting protein throughout the day. Whey protein is fast digesting and casein protein is slow digesting. Beachbody is working on creating a new protein that contains a balance of fast and slow digesting protein.
- From the age of 40 on, you lose an average of one pound of lean muscle per year. In order to stop or slow that process, it’s important that you take in enough protein!
- Protein creates lean muscle!
- When looking for a pre-workout supplement, you need to check and make sure that leucine, isoleucine, and valine are in the product. Dr. Wheeler said that these are the most important ingredients in pre-workout supplements!
- Stay away from any pre-workout supplement that has pure caffeine in it! Pure caffeine is not beneficial for the body.
- Cocoa, or theobromine, is another good ingredient to look for in pre-workout supplements.
- The most important time to take a supplement is post workout!
- You have 1 hour to replenish the body of nutrients lost. You need to have a post-workout supplement with the right combination of simple carbs and protein, and the P90X Recovery Formula is perfect for just that.
- The only good time to take in simple carbohydrates is post-workout.
- Baked potatoes are loaded with simple carbs, and is the equivalent to eating 22-24 teaspoons of sugar! Yams and sweet potatoes are complex carbohydrates and much better for you.
- Simple carbohydrates like sugar spike insulin levels, and when insulin is high, the muscles don’t repair properly.
- It’s important to drink 6-8 8 oz. glasses of water per day!
- You burn more calories drinking cold water.
- It’s important to take an Omega 3 vitamin! It’s almost near impossible to get the required amount of Omega 3’s during the day through eating just eating alone.
- Studies show that if a pregnant woman takes Omega 3 vitamins during her last trimester, the baby is born with a higher IQ!
- Important to eat 5-6 times per day. You actually burn around 340 extra calories per day by eating 5-6 times. When you don’t eat for a long period of time, your body enters into fat storage mode.
Like I said, the nutrition tips that I received last night from Dr. Wheeler were absolutely priceless! I’m glad I was able to go down and learn many things that I could share with you all. If you would like to learn more about Shakeology and watch the “35 Doctors Don’t Lie” video, click here!