As I have been talking about in the last few posts, the diet is the most important part of any exercise program. Too many people feel that they will get results if they just follow the workouts. Well, unfortunately, that’s not how it works. I tell all the people that I coach that results come from 80% diet, just to put it into perspective. The combination of both diet and exercise is how you ultimately will reach all of your goals. So, since the diet is very important, I’ve decided to write a post with some P90X diet tips.
(1) Clean out your kitchen! When you first start a strict diet regimen, you will be craving sweets and unhealthy white carbs. If you’re serious about committing to the diet and getting results, then you need to go through your kitchen and throw away ALL junk food! When I first started the program, I did this, and it helped tremendously. I found myself craving the ice cream, candy bars, Oreo’s, etc., but couldn’t eat them because they weren’t there!
(2) Read through the entire P90X Nutrition Guide. The first thing that I did when I received my P90X package was read through the entire P90X Nutrition Guide because I understood the importance of it. When I went through it, I learned what I needed to do to stay committed to the diet. This book is what ultimately will guide you in the right direction with your diet!
(3) Become a Club Member. As I was going through the Nutrition Guide for the first time, I quickly realized that there was no way I was going to be able follow the guide exactly because of money/time constraints. I didn’t feel like preparing foods like Mahi Mahi for an hour, so I decided to make some modifications to the diet, a more college student friendly diet, so to speak. I wanted to know some healthy meal options, so that’s when I decided to become a Club Member. The Club Membership creates custom meal plans for you, but really, I just used it for some meal ideas. Once I got the ideas, I plugged them into www.fitday.com to make sure I was still taking in the right amount of calories and % of fat/carbs/protein outlined in the Nutrition Guide. Click here to learn more about the club membership.
(4) Eat at home as much as possible. Eating completely healthy while eating out has become near impossible anymore. However, many restaurants have created a “healthy” meal section in their menu, but even those aren’t the greatest for you. If you really want to control your calories, eat at home. If you have to eat out, make sure you ask for no butter, no oil, etc., and stick with grilled chicken, fish, or a salad with low-fat dressings.
(5) Get on Shakeology. As much as I have talked about this in other posts, I’m not going to go into detail. When it comes down to it, Shakeology is an amazing meal replacement that will help you lose weight and get into shape. My entire family uses it and we all have seen awesome results! Learn more about it at http://myshakeology.com/spence8.
Those are some great diet tips to help you get started with P90X!