P90X has literally been my program of choice for the past 3 years, so I guess that would sort of make me a P90X expert, right? Regardless if I’m a self proclaimed “P90X Expert” or not, I’ve had some pretty amazing results, losing 25 lbs and 10% body fat within my first 90 days, so I know exactly what it takes to maximize your results with this program. Throughout the past 3 years, I have made many adjustments to reach different goals (gain mass, get lean, etc.), tried many different supplements, used pretty much all of the P90X equipment, so whenever someone approaches me asking for some tips for starting P90X, I know exactly what to tell them. I’ve decided to share those P90X tips with you in 6 points below.
(1) FOLLOW THE NUTRITION GUIDE! OK, the reason I put this in caps was to get a point across. No matter how many times I tell people that the diet is the MOST important part of the entire program, they still think I’m pulling their leg! When I first started P90X, I knew I needed to change my diet and follow the program exactly how it was supposed to be followed, so that’s exactly what I did. I soon came to the understanding that the diet played the biggest role in my results, and now I tell the people that I coach that 80% of their results are going to come from the diet, the rest from the workouts. The key with the P90X diet is to make sure you’re taking in the right amount of calories and following the proper fat/carb/protein breakdown, which is 20/30/50 (% of calories) in the first Phase. You can keep track of that by logging what you eat every day into www.myfitnesspal.com.
(2) You need support! I don’t care who you are, if you don’t have support with your new healthy lifestyle, you’re not going to have the success you want. Trust me, you’re going to have negativity all around you, people saying you will never succeed and making fun of you for eating healthy, and you need someone there to help you through the program, making sure you’re on track, answering any questions that you have, and guess what, I know just the person! I’m a full-time Beachbody Coach and that’s what I do, support and encourage people going through various Beachbody programs. When I first started P90X, I signed up for my free Team Beachbody account and got my coach, Barbie, who was there to help me through my entire transformation, and believe me, she helped quite a bit! To make me your coach for free, click here!
(3) Use Shakeology and the Recovery Formula! I used to be a college baseball player and tried MANY different supplements, and I have never gotten better results than I have with Shakeology and the P90X Recovery Drink. I’ve been using Shakeology as a meal replacement for the past year and a half, and literally can’t go a day without it! What’s great is that I’m not spending any more money by using it because I just replaced my lunch with it. I was spending anywhere from $8-$12 on lunches going out to eat, but now I use Shakeology, which costs me about $4 a day, so I’m actually now saving money. Just about all my friends, family, and many of the people I coach have listened to my recommendation about using Shakeology and have gotten excellent results! I’ve even had a few people close to me lose over 100 lbs combining Shakeology and P90X, which is amazing and makes me feel great because I’ve been able to help them out. Because I believe in it so much, I send out samples to anyone that I coach, so if I’m your coach, message me if you’d like one.
OK, now on to the Recovery Formula. I’ve been using this for a few years now, and again, it’s the best post-workout supplement that I’ve come across. I take it after every workout, and not only does it help with proper muscle development, but it decreases the soreness that I experience afterwards. Click here to read my full P90X Recovery Drink review.
(4) Create and write down your goals! This is another VERY important tip when starting P90X and something you shouldn’t take lightly. It’s important that you create specific long term and short term goals throughout your fitness journey so that you make sure you’re on track. Write them down, put them somewhere you will see them every day, such as by your computer, or you can do what I do and purchase a large dry erase board and hang it in your living room. I write my goals down on this board and look at it every day so that I know what I need to do in order to work my way towards those goals. Some short term goals might be eating 100% clean for the next week, or losing 3 lbs in a week. Some long term goals might be losing 25 lbs by the end of your 90 days, or going down 5 dress sizes by the time you graduate P90X. Trust me on this one, creating goals is important!
(5) Take pictures. You’re going to want to make sure that you take progress pictures of yourself every 15 -30 days, starting with Day 1. The reason is so that when you do take pictures and compare them to your Day 1 pictures, you’re going to notice results, motivating you to continue working hard every single day so that your next progress pics are better than the last. When I was going through my first round and saw my progress pics, my desire to succeed increased more and more and I was able to remain focused and committed.
(6) Modify. If you’re out of shape and have a hard time doing the normal versions of the exercises, there is no shame in doing the modified versions! I know many people who had to modify every workout for the entire 90 days, which is just fine! Tony Horton shows you how to modify just about every exercise, so make sure you’re doing it properly.
(7) Push yourself! In order to get excellent P90X results, you’re going to have to push outside your comfort zone. There is no lying, P90X is tough and does suck when you’re first beginning, and you will be so sore that you probably won’t be able to move, but instead of giving up, push through the soreness. When I was in my first week of P90X, I literally felt like I got hit by a train, but instead of making excuses and skipping workouts, I pushed myself and never skipped one. Also, when you are doing various exercises and your mind is telling you that you can only get 1 more rep, push yourself to do 3, 4, or even 5 more! The greatest results come when you are able to push yourself beyond your comfort zone!
(8) Believe in yourself! No matter how hard it gets, if you hit a plateau or not, how sore you are, believe that you can make it to Day 90 without skipping a workout or cheating on the diet. I’m a big believer in personal development and positive thinking because it’s played a huge role in my success in life, so I know that if you truly believe something, your mind will pave the way to success! Don’t ever give up, always move forward, pay no attention to the negativity from the people around you, and always do what you feel is right! I believe that you can change your life with P90X because I’ve done it myself, and now it’s important that YOU believe it as well!
I hope these P90X tips help, which they should, and if you have any other questions, make sure you email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Like I said, I’m a full-time Beachbody Coach and here to help you out! If you haven’t done so yet and would like to make me your coach, click here.