For years I had no idea what I was supposed to do to get a six pack. I honestly thought that my body wouldn’t allow me to, that it was my genetics holding me back. I was wrong. When I started P90X back in 2008, I quickly discovered what I was doing wrong, and found out the best way to get a six pack. What’s the secret? That’s what I’m going to share with you. Understand, though, that there is no easy way to get a six pack! It will take some hard work and dedication on your part. Here’s my secret on how to get great abs!
Best Way To Get A Six Pack
(1) Know the 80/20 rule. 80% of your results are going to come from your diet, while 20% from the workouts. That’s what I share to all of the people I coach! The best way to get a six pack lies in the DIET, NOT the workouts!
(2) Take in the right amount of calories. This is crucial to your results! If you take in too many calories, you will have a tough time burning fat, and if you take in too little, you risk going into starvation mode. Starvation mode is when you’re body stores fat and doesn’t allow you to burn it because it feels malnourished. You want to make sure you take in enough calories to where you feel comfortable at the end of the day, not starving and not full. For me, at 5’7″ that’s about 2,000 calories per day.
(3) Stay away from late night carbs! This was a big one for me. Late at night I used to eat a bowl of cereal, and what was happening was that those carbs were stored as fat when I slept because they went as unused energy. Once I stopped eating carbs, and really stopped eating all together about 2 hours before bed, I started to learn that this was the best way to get a six pack.
(4) Eat the right foods. Knowing how many calories is just part of it, what exactly you eat is the rest. You have to have to right diet to get a six pack. So what do you eat? The key is to stick with whole grains, lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies, everything that you have been taught about healthy eating when you were a kid. However, it’s SO IMPORTANT that you stay away from foods high in fat, white breads, and sugary products. Fast food, most restaurant food, is terrible for you, and you really have to be careful about what you eat. If you do eat out and want to make sure it’s healthy, there’s an awesome app called MyFitnessPal that breaks down the nutrition for pretty much every restaurant meal.
(5) Take in the proper ratios. There’s another part of the equation, and that’s taking in the right amount of fat/carbs/protein throughout the day. You can’t eat 95% carbs and expect to get a six pack. It doesn’t work that way! You have to make sure you have some sort of balance. The P90X Nutrition Guide is perfect when it comes to ratios, and has you follow a 20/30/50 during the first month, 20/40/40 during the second month, and 20/50/30 during the 3rd month. Again, MyFitnessPal will tell you where you are with your ratios when you log in your meals. If you want to know the best way to get a six pack, this is a major key to success in doing so!
(6) Do the right ab routine. It’s not going to be beneficial if you do 50 normal crunches and call it quits. Instead, you need a complete routine that works your entire core, not just your upper abs. The P90X ab routine, Ab Ripper X, is one of my favorites, and is a 15 minute long grueling core workout.
(7) Have the right amount of rest. The best way to get a six pack is by giving your abs proper rest time to heal! Too many people want to work the abs every day, but don’t understand that it doesn’t benefit them in any way. Just like with every other muscle group, you have to give the abs 48 hours rest before working again, allowing for proper healing.
Hopefully you found these tips on the best way to get a six pack helpful! Remember, there is no easy way to get a six pack, but rather involves hard work and dedication to both a healthy diet and workout routine. STAY COMMITTED and you will get results! If you want a complete program to get a six pack abs, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND P90X! That picture above is of my abs after doing P90X.